You might be tempted to dismiss these tiny creatures, but mosquitoes are one of the world’s top killers. Each year, they cause approximately 2.7 million deaths globally due to mosquito-borne illnesses and diseases caused by bacteria, viruses, or parasites. Malaria is the most prominent one and is endemic in 91 countries. Yellow fever, West Nile virus, Chikungunya, Dengue fever, and Zika virus have caused worldwide devastation.
Are You Safe at Home?
You should be aware of the fact that ever-increasing instances of mosquito-borne diseases are being reported across the United States, annually. Also, mosquitoes are also known to transmit thread-like parasites known as heartworms to cats and dogs. Scientists have discovered over 3,500 different species of mosquitoes. There are 150 spread across North America. Millions of them have already invaded homes, backyards, and gardens in Northwest Arkansas. Households endure untold suffering while facing a rising potential for contracting life-threatening illnesses; hence, the need for effective mosquito control services.
Know your enemy: basic facts about mosquitoes
- Mosquitoes prefer damp, dark areas near stagnant water, and are usually active from dusk till dawn. These insects are attracted to body odor, warmth, carbon dioxide, and light. That is why you commonly find them around residential areas. Many people think that mosquitoes are neither male nor female. On the contrary, males and females behave very differently. Males mainly feed on plant nectar and fruit. However, female mosquitoes feed on blood to help their eggs develop.
- Interestingly, a female mosquito can lay up to 400 eggs at a time in standing water, which will typically hatch into larvae 24-48 hours later. Adults will emerge about 2 weeks later and have about a 14-day lifespan. How do you keep your home mosquito-free? Like all living beings, mosquitoes need water, food, and shelter to survive. You need to eliminate at least one of the factors to offer some form of control. Keeping breeding ground cleaned up is a good start.
- Think of stagnant water as the playground and perfect place for breeding. In addition to creating environments for completing the mosquito’s life cycle, stagnant water is likely to host microscopic animals, plants, and organic debris, which are food sources for mosquito larvae.
How to Defend Against Mosquitoes
- Regularly change the water in bird baths, dog dishes, or plant pots. Other breeding sites include poorly draining gutters, non-functioning swimming pools, buckets and containers, ditches, cesspools, sagging tarps, plastic pools or even rain barrels.
- Mow your lawn often, trim shrubs & vines, and also get rid of tall weeds. Don’t allow the waste to heap up in a corner; instead, burn them up or cart them away.
- As you would expect, these little pests like dark places. Therefore, discard any junk and tires lying around. You can also spray shaded areas with DIY treatments.
Deal with them proactively
Mosquitoes can easily come over from your neighbor’s home. Mosquito repellant is ideal, especially when you’re relaxing in your garden or backyard. There’s a wide range of backyard foggers you could use to enjoy temporary relief from irritating bites and buzzes.
If you like to relax on the porch or patio during the summer, switch on electric fans. Fans help disturb the air and make it difficult for the mosquitoes to settle in. Keep doors and windows shut to keep the pests out or your home. You can even use hands-free screens that automatically block entrances and openings.
Get Professional Mosquito Control Services
A monthly mosquito service from Ace of Blades will help put you at ease. You’ll enjoy the added advantage of being rid of other landscape pests as well. Get more information here on Integrated Pest Management (IPM). We take extra care to preserve pollinators such as honeybees. Often times, DIY store bought products can be harmful to pollinators if not applied correctly and appropriately. Ace of Blades mosquito service can help take that responsibility out of your hands so you can focus on other things in life.
For assistance with professional Mosquito Treatment services, please contact us.